Housing Disrepair

Housing disrepair claims are when your rented property is in a condition which needs to be repaired to become safe and comfortable. This could be due to damage caused by a leak or flooding, mould, infestations and plumbing problems.

Your landlord should respond to the issues you report as soon as possible. If they fail to do so, you can file a claim for compensation and get the necessary work done.

Damage to your property

If you rent a home and notice that it is in disrepair, you can make a housing disrepair claim against your landlord. This could include dampness, mould and damage to belongings like furniture or appliances.

You can also claim for personal injury if you have a health issue as a result of the disrepair in your home. You can claim for the cost of your doctor’s visit and treatment as well as compensation for any financial losses you have suffered as a result.

It is important to notify your landlord about any disrepair as soon as possible. This can help you avoid a costly disrepair claim down the line.

Damage to your belongings

The disrepair caused by your landlord’s failure to carry out repairs can have a serious impact on the condition of your belongings. This includes clothing and bedding that have been ruined by mould and furniture that has been damaged by water leaks.

In such a case, you will be able to claim compensation for the damage you have sustained. This can cover the cost of replacing the items or a lump sum that reflects their value.

To make a successful claim, it is important to provide evidence of your loss. This can include old receipts, bills, and photographs of the damaged item. The best way to get a realistic estimate of how much you can claim is to speak to a housing disrepair solicitor Oldham who will assess your case and offer valuable advice.

Damage to your health

Everyone deserves to live in a healthy, safe and comfortable home. Unfortunately, sometimes landlords, whether they are private or housing association landlords, fail to meet their obligations when it comes to repair issues.

This can lead to health problems, such as respiratory conditions caused by damp and mould spores that are not visible with the naked eye. These spores can be extremely dangerous for people with allergies, asthma or other respiratory conditions.

Moreover, living with housing disrepair can cause mental health concerns. In fact, in England alone, 21% of adults say that they have suffered from mental health problems as a result of living in a property with poor conditions.

In short, if you have been affected by housing disrepair and your landlord or housing association has failed to meet their legal duties, you could be entitled to compensation.


If you have a problem with your home that your landlord is not willing to fix, you can claim compensation. This can be for your health, damage to your property or general inconvenience.

The law requires your landlord to repair the defects within a reasonable time. However, some landlords fail to meet this obligation causing your home to become uninhabitable or resulting in your health being affected.

For instance, if the damp in your home causes you to suffer from respiratory problems or if your garden is damaged by mice infestations, you should report this to your local council as soon as possible.

When making a housing disrepair claim, it’s important to keep good records of the repairs you have reported. This will help to prove that your landlord had notice of the issues and failed to fix them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *