Every day we make countless statements. Just to give an example, by answering questions about how our health is that day, we make a statement. However, it is good to clarify that even if a person makes a statement, that does not mean that it is true. It is something that surely you have already noticed. And that is why, when it comes to legal processes, an affidavit is requested.
What is the difference between this and a normal statement? What steps must you follow to make an affidavit? Where can you get a model of this document? We invite you to know the answers below.
What is an affidavit?
In a very brief way, we can say that an affidavit is the affirmation or promise of a person, put in writing and, in most cases, exposed before a notary for validation. Whoever makes the affidavit bears full responsibility for his words in that document.
How to make a simple affidavit
As we have already indicated, it is a legal document, and that is why you must follow a series of rules and steps to carry it out correctly and be able to continue with the legal process you wish to process. The process to be carried out implies an oath taken by a person to develop or elaborate an activity before a judicial or administrative authority.
Let’s see the points that you should take into account.
Because it is a document that is used very frequently, it is possible to get a sample affidavit, either on the internet or at any notary. Depending on the purpose for which you need this declaration, it can be adapted.
However, it is necessary that you make sure that the document complies with all the legal requirements, and for this, it is best that you seek the advice of a notary. Take into account that the data may vary depending on the purpose of the affidavit.
Each affidavit model will require some specific information from you. You must make sure that you have all that data at hand, and above all, that the data is accurate. This will help speed up the process and, at the same time, prevent you from getting into legal trouble due to swearing in false information. How To Write An Affidavit? Why Is It Needed?
Once you have decided which model to use, or if you will write it on your own, and have and verify the necessary data, it is time to write the declaration. To do so, you need to be clear about the purpose of the statement. Then, you must follow these steps.
- header. In this place, you must place the body or institution that will receive the statement. A little further down, indicate the purpose you seek when making this affidavit.
- location. To the right of the document, you must write down the place where you are, be it a city, province, or state, as well as the date at the time of writing. You must also specify if you are male or female.
- Personal data. Begin the body of the statement with your first and last name.
- identification. Do not forget to put the number of your identity document.
- exact address. You have already provided your general location, but now you must provide the location with all the details, including the number or name of the street, the house, etc.
- Statement. This is the most important part of the entire document. In it, you must mention the statement that motivates this affidavit. You must make a special effort to explain the information in a brief way but do so in the clearest way possible. Let there be no doubt as to what statement you are making.
- Statement of responsibility. Due to the type of document, it is necessary for you to express in writing that all the information stated above is true and that, if the contrary is proven, you are willing to assume all the legal consequences that this implies. By the way, in some countries, declaring false information or presenting false testimony can carry a penalty of up to two years in prison.
- Date and signature. To ensure that you fully agree with the information presented in the document, it is necessary that you once again enter the date on which you write or fill it out. Your signature is also important to give it legal validity. In some models, your fingerprint is also requested.
- stamp. None of the aforementioned would have any legal value if you do not have the official seal of a notary. But, since it is a statement made by you, you must go to a notary to have it reviewed and stamped. In a few cases this seal is not required, so it is better to ask what the situation is in your case.
The moment you sign and seal an affidavit, you are giving support and real character to what you say. Therefore, if you sign it, you automatically become responsible for the statements contained herein.
Once all the steps indicated in this article have been completed, all you have to do is take the document to the corresponding body or institution. That way you can continue with the legal process you are carrying out.
Where to download the affidavit template?
You do not need to write all the information related to the affidavit since many models have already been made so you only have to locate it and fill it out. Let’s see some of the options you have to download it.
If you are looking for a general model, then in the link you can find it. This model offers the facility for you to be able to use it for almost anything. So they are ideal for many purposes. In addition, since it is in Word format, you can edit any detail in case it does not apply to your return.
You can also download the individual affidavit model in Word format. In this case, it will only suffice to replace the data that appears with your own. If you prefer or need a collective affidavit, you can also obtain it and repeat the aforementioned process.
You can find a large number of models online, but most of them will have the same basic elements that are shown in the models mentioned in this article. It must be so to be considered a valid legal document.
It is also important that you know that there are two types of affidavits. The first, is general, which can be used for procedures that are not so formal. And the second, is judicial, which is required before legal institutions because it is a formal document. But, despite being different in some aspects, both have legal value.