Warning Signs Your House Has an Electrical Issue

Electrical problems are very common. An electrical malfunction can occur at any time without you realizing the reason behind it. A great many numbers of cases have been recorded where civilians got injured due to fire. While some managed to come out of danger, others do not.

If you take home electrical maintenance casually, get ready to face the consequences. This is why it is recommended that you take a proactive approach and check your electrical system regularly. After all, you need to be safe and keep your family safe too.

In this guide, we are going to discuss some of the most common signs that indicate you need to call in an expert electrician in Central London to address and fix the issue. Without further ado, let us get started.

Lights are flickering

Lights tend to flicker due to a lot of reasons. One of them may include an overloaded electrical circuit. This can mean that there is not enough power to supply the lights and the appliance in a single electrical circuit simultaneously.

Overloading is bound to happen when some appliances draw too much current from a single circuit in a house. While this may seem a little too problematic, you can solve the issue by bringing in a whole new power supply circuit. This quickly resolves the overloading issue, making your house safe from any kind of fire danger.

You get electrical shocks

There could be a short circuit in the electrical system in your house. As a result, you may feel an electrical shock after plugging in an appliance or maybe flipping a switch.

This happens due to several reasons. One of them can include that your electrical wiring may have lost insulation. Or it could have been damaged due to wear and tear. You should not take the gravity of the situation too lightly here. Make sure you call a professional the moment you experience an electric shock.

You hear a buzzing sound

Do you hear a buzzing sound from a light switch or the outlet in your house? It could be an indication that there is a loose connection in the wiring or the wiring may have gone loose, causing that sound. The sound could be due to burnt electrical wiring in your house.

Your outlets are discoloured

It is common for your outlets to have discolouration due to a small fire behind the light switch. If you have got old electrical outlets in your house, it may cause a small spark. There could be a loose wire in the outlet that resulted in a spark.

Ceiling light fixtures are warm

Warm ceiling light fixtures can cause real hazards in your house. You should be careful dealing with them. It could be an indication that your light fixtures are not insulated the way they should be.

This is where you will need assistance from an electrician. He or she can help you fix the issue by insulating the areas surrounding the fixtures. Or he or she can recommend replacing that fixture.

Hot outlets

Certain electrical appliances produce heat during operation. That does not mean that the outlet will be hot. If you find out that there is heat near an outlet, make sure you immediately unplug the cords. Also, do not use the outlet until an electrician fixes the issue for you.

The same should be applied to the switch cover plates. However, dimmer switches are warm to the touch. This is because they dissipate the additional electrical energy to make the dimming effect.

Excess heat around the outlets is why you should check the wattage before installing a dimmer switch.

Flexible gas lines are improperly grounded

Corrugated stainless steel tubing or flex line remains a popular choice that supplies gas throughout a property. However, it is important that the line is properly grounded. You do this to avoid dangerous blowouts. When there is an electrical surge in your house, when lightning strikes on or near your house, it can potentially damage the flex line, resulting in a gas leak or explosion.

The outlets are loose

You plugged a cord into an outlet only to notice that the inner parts of the outlet are roaming about. Make sure you pop open that outlet and square it away. This is because a loose outlet can shake its wires free, leading to shorts, small sparks and disruptive fire hazards.

Fake UL stickers on the electrical items

Items such as extension cords and smoke detectors are designed to carry a UL (Underwriters Laboratory) sticker. The sticker indicates that the device has passed inspection. However, some manufacturers do not do UL inspection and they use counterfeit labels. When you choose to buy some cheap electrical devices, make sure you notice that sticker carefully, and look for signs that you should not buy them.

There are rodents

You may see rodent droppings near the electrical wiring. It is time for you to look for signs of new chew marks on the wire. Bare wiring is bound to give you a shock. So, if you notice anything related to rodents’ nest material, be sure to take action as soon as possible.

Final Words

Now that you know some of the most common signs that you got problematic electrical wiring in your house, be proactive and immediately call for help. The sooner you take action, the better. This would prevent your house from a worse accident caused by fire.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *